Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dusk Patrol at Alpental, May 17, 2006

I got off the bike at 4:30 pm and waved to my neighbor working in his garden. At 5:00 when I came down the driveway with my skis over my shoulder he said, "You've got to be kidding!" With temps soaring in the city in the 80's I could only sort of see what he was getting at.

A bunch of half-naked, tank-topped, sun-soaked city folks spilled out of cars parked at the base of the Armstrong Express. Cass, Rodger, Elly, Kelvin, Jeremy, Ari and his partner, and I stood in the alpine shade beside the babbling creek and quickly got cold. So we quickly got moving.

A sundog light up the sky. Two four footed friends (Kona and Keller) led the way skinning up Sessel. Snow was firm but pliable, not at all icy under the day's 72 degrees last I had checked the telemetry. Warm air and heat pockets persisted as we climbed and soon removed that extra layer we'd donned at the bottom. An early party of folks carved past us just before we topped out at the saddle and the top of the quad. Thinking she was now alone, we must have surprised Rainier. She was blushing in the most beautiful way. Cass and Rodger gained the side hill looking for a better view and descended with a few fine turns. We waited until the alpineglow faded from across the valley and Cass extracted himself from a thigh high hole until our ski descent.

The turns were simply lovely. Watch for the creek opening and other thawing hazards/treasures (Kelvin found a cell phone!). Cass thinks there is enough snow to last for at least one more Wednesday night Dusk Patrol. I don't think he's kidding.

more photos here

1 comment:

amy said...

cool photos, chica!!!