Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back in the Middle

Sometimes I forget what I do for a living. Yet when the alarm goes at 5:30 (and I realize it is not to go skiing), and I drive half sleepy to work, put the key in my door, the reality rushes at me like a heat wave, which does in fact occur when I open the door to my classroom. By 7:10 I'm trying to remember faces of students I haven't seen in almost three weeks, thanks to a power outage just before break. But by 8 o'clock, when most of you haven't even gotten your coffee, I'm remembering why I love this gig.

Students fall into routine and rigor. We reflect and review and roll on. A few students bring me rock candy and illustrated descriptions of a saturated solution while others wonder, "You mean you want us to bring you candy?" when they discover the sweet extra credit project on solubility has been extended.

It's hard work. And although there are frustrations with the bureaucracy and the politics of public education, I know I'm lucky to do what I do. I think my kids are lucky too.

Two New York Times articles show the challenges of being in the middle, and pushing through.
1. Stay in school, be healthy
2. Middle School Challenges

No comments: