Sunday, July 10, 2016

Lake Manyara National Park

The list from the late day light safari of Lake Manyara National Park is a naturalist's dream.


The broad leaves of tropical road side plants wear a thin patina of red dust. I've seen it in many countries. Yet, here, there are acacia towering over, and bulbous baobab trees in the landscape. From my view point standing in the jeep, I feel like I can see forever. I also feel the East African wind in my hair, as I hold on the to the thinly padded bumper like a kid on a roller coaster.

Although, I'm not allowed to scream. Or make much noise when we spot the animals we are here to observe.

Here's the list:
Birds:
Hamerkop, grey headed King Fisher, great white egret, pelican, crowned lapwing, plover, yellow billed storks, Egyptian goose, grey heron, crowned cranes, black winged stilt, tropical Boubou, red billed hornbill, helmeted Guinea fowl, giant kingfisher, unknown juvenile owl

Primates:
Baboons, blue monkeys, red vervet monkeys

Wildebeest, elephants, zebras, warthog, cape Buffalo

Sure, I have photos. But here's one I couldn't quite capture; watching two scenes, one on either side of the dirt road, a tennis match volleying for my attention. One side: four elephants chomp chomping away, so close I could hear them burp, and so real I could monitor the shadows in their wrinkles. The other side: a tree full of chattering baboons.

Observing here in Tanzania, I'm beginning to feel like my hero, Jane Goodall. These dreams do come true.

No comments: