Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Buckhorn Wilderness, Olympic National Forest

After a few previous trips in tunnel vision due to the weather, this weekend adventure was the light at the end of the tunnel. With long views, plenty of sunshine, pleasant walking weather, this trip was a huge bang for the buck.

Emma and I planned the route a week or so before our departure from Seattle on July 20. Despite some significant delayed traffic before the Hood Canal Bridge, we made it to the trail head by noon. We ate lunch, donned the gear, and noted that we were both carrying light weight backpacks (certainly compared to my 4 day solo). We began the hike through the shaded forest, along side the babbling creek. The trail gave us a few opportunities to get to the water, the crunch of gravel under our boots.
It was mostly easy going to the lake where we dropped packs and planned to camp. I dried out my sweaty shirt and we refilled water, while watching a man in an LL Bean t shirt cast a neon green fishing line from the shore. He waded in further, the muck of the lake bottom making him grimace. The fishing line arched in the air like calligraphy. I thought of Henry Wu who in college, tied flies for me that matched my hair, in a gesture I missed then as flirting. We had thought to trade fly fishing lessons for photography when we both made our way out west. I don't know what happened to Henry.

Emma suggested we head higher for camp. The lake was both shady and a bit buggy, and better views could likely be had above. We filled all water vessels, including her dinner bowl, which she carried like a monk would carry for alms.

The ridge did indeed offer more sunshine and more views, of Mount Constance, especially.

We dropped packs at the ridge and scouted for an ideal campsite, skirting around the heather, pushing aside the firs to find surprises. The biggest surprise was the view of the sound from other side of the ridge. I could see my city from here, and it was glorious. It's not just that the clumps of buildings were visible, it's that I could see the stadium, the Columbia Tower, and the ferry boats that crossed the Sound. This was such a delightful view. It stretched for miles. From Tacoma to Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan. 

We found a spot and settled in for the night, dinning by sunset, back lit by the beauty. 

The stars were visible at night, and moon rise glowed orange as the city lights. It was marvelous. I woke up here to the sunshine I was craving, the views I had been missing. 


We ate breakfast on nearly the last of the water we had hauled up from the lake and saved a few sips for the summit. 




Then, down again through the forest, and to the trail head, and to the ferry to get home. Mountains + Sound + Ferry + fun = a wonderful adventure. 





No comments: