Sunday, January 29, 2006

Lots of stellar crystals

Another winter storm made for a fabulous weekend. I stepped off the Summit Shuttle with more than an hour left of daylight on Friday night at Alpental. As dusk settled darker, and the lights came on, visibility shifted. Luckily the snow stayed light and lovely. I met up with Cass, Allyson, and JW for a few runs before catching the shuttle back to Central.

Suprising sunbreaks made for a Saturday of rest, yoga, food, time with friends, and beautiful bold rainbows.

Sunday ski bus seems earlier and earlier each Sunday. I have even taken to sleeping a bit on the ride up; my charges passed out too, listening to their iPods. Even with chains required today, we made it up to Stevens Pass by 9:30. What great snow!!! My lessons continue and it's safe to say that I've broken through another plateau on the learning curve in these few short weeks. I'm working on fine tuning my turn shape, turn width, and consistency. With hero snow, it's easier to be a hero. I was frequently in a turning groove and rocked out. I love this! Lunch with some friends and then back out in a snowstorm. Stellar crystals, hexagonal plates, and a few narrow columns showed off their stuff on the black cuffs of my jacket and the knees of my pants. I live for this magic. Thank you Wilson Bentley, The Snowflake Man, for your work and awe inspiration.

more on Bentley

No comments: