Sunday, January 08, 2006

Stevens Pass

It was early when I left the house in the dark for the Sunday ski bus. I pulled into the West Seattle Stadium parking lot and there was no bus. Thankfully, it arrived a few minutes later and the boys from last year, now taller, boarded the bus. There were a few new kids, two who I later had to teach to put a wicket through their jacket pull and put the ticket on the wicket without getting it stuck to everything else! We made the regular stop at The Evergreen School picked up those kids, some of whom I've known for ten years! I think I slept most of the ride up there, through the rain and the dissapointing lack of snow. Clearly, the forecast for a winter storm was wrong.

This is my 8th year taking tele lessons from Steve at Ski King. This is compensation for my chaperone duties. It's a blast! Steve and I headed out for a number of runs on the back side of the mountain. Snow was inconsistent, cold, and icy in places. Fast. Gave me a chance to work on my rhythm. As Steve says, we are just fine tuning now. He's being picky. This is fine with me.

I met up with other friends for a long lunch. I seemed to have left the tele legs in the lodge for the 4 runs we did as a posse in the afternoon. But I pushed through the burn for the joy of the day.

Today marks ten days out skiing since November 1. Yahoo!!!
ski ya,
jcl

No comments: