Monday, February 20, 2006

Eastside sunshine and snow



On Saturday I drove to Leavenworth. The views were stunning and reminded me how lucky I am to live in the great PNW. Stunning I tell you. The weather has been particularly cold. I was bundled in my down jacket driving over the pass and pondering the ponderosa's on the way down the other side. I arrived at Sleeping Lady Lodge Saturday late morning. After checking in I walked the snowshoe track along the Icicle River Trail. Hard snow made no need for snowshoes. Then I joined friends and the wedding love birds to the Icicle Creek Winery. By fireside and sunset we sipped a fine collection of wines and toured the cellar.

Sunday, Thisbe and I rented x-country skis and got into the groove of the track on the Icicle River Trail. Being down hill skiiers, we both zoomed along the track hoping to go fast. That's a challenge when the trail is dead flat. Skate skiers zoomed along so Thisbe tried to skate along the groomed area. Woah! Clearly, our x-c classic skis are not meant for skating as they have no metal edge. We admired the sunshine, the pinecones, and the state fish hatchery that resembled a "large shuffleboard court". After a tour around the 8 km course, Thisbe noted that to do it again would leave her in no shape for a wedding; plus we found it a bit boring.


So we hit the hot tub and then headed into town to see KB get beautified. A lovely weekend with lots of snow, stars, and sunshine. Oh, and love. Best wishes KB and GUS.

1 comment:

amy said...

Everyone knows that XC skiers and XC skiing are far superior to downhill skiers and skiing....You're lucky we even let you on our trails!!!!!!!!!!!