Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sunrise Sunset

I ride through this morning's chilly temperatures, avoiding a pocket of black ice, and cross the Montlake Bridge to see the early glow of sunrise reflect in the waters of the cut. In an oranging sky, the caucophany of crows circle above me. As I gain the hill on 29th, the Olympics shine their snow in the first light of day. Rainier looms South through the second story bathroom window where I change out of bike clothes into cold jeans. All day students explore the laws of physics. After department meetings our principal leads a small crew of teachers to the roof. We can see for miles and miles and miles. Clear Cascades. I drink the sun. I can taste the snow. A patch on Mt. Si looks like the state of Louisiana. The light is shifting lower in the West when I change back into my bike clothes. I push off down 29th to the mirror of morning. An orange glow of the Olympics. By the time I reach the bridge the Cascades have cooled down. Stars twinkle above the driveway.

It is that time of the year when I catch the sun and silhouettes on both mountain ranges. The views are simply stunning and I see it without a windsheild.

No comments: