Monday, December 25, 2006

It is very powder. I'm sinking!

Christmas day tradition: ski
Forecast: 10 inches of new
Destination: Stevens Pass

Matt and dp and I headed out EARLY to Stevens. We waited in line for the big cheif chair (have I ever waited in line for first chairs?) and then waited at the top of that for double diamond to open to take us into the back side. Matty counted: we were the 10th chair. There are no friends on powder days, so we made a plan to meet up at lunch and keep in the loop. I can't believe I skied all the way till noon. Endless untracked powder and DEEP. Over the boot and, with the genuine tele genuflexion, thigh high. Not as light as we had thought, with an interesting density inversion, but still delicious, although exhausting.

I overheard a non-native-English speaking couple skiing beside me. She hollered to her friend," It is very powder. I'm sinking!"

The sucker hole dp noticed as we drove up, and parked right up front of the stairs, opened into a beautiful blue day. Sunshine and powder. What a glorious christmas present.

By lunch we were all dragging. Matt and I even layed down on the benches at the table. We lingered, and munched, and stretched. And made a plan for more. dp and I skied the backside again with a few laps in Tye Mill valley. By three we met up with Matt who invited us for a "family ski". Undecided and indifferent, we debated. Then, Matt threw in the towel: "Let's ski!" and we took a fabulous final run of the day.

Merry indeed!

No comments: