Thursday, May 24, 2007

Learning Turkish

Merhaba.
It's funny how learning one new language can trip your brain into remembering other languages. In Turkish, where is translates as "nereye". But in my head I keep repeating "doko deska?" which is Japanese for where is. My mind is playing tricks. What these two languages have in common is that I can't for the life of me hear the break between words. Japanese was a slurry of syllables. Turkish sounds to me as if the speaker has marbles in his mouth. How are you? sounds like nashulsuhnhuz. My ear for language is hardening and I've had more difficulty with these two than with any other, including Nepali. In fact, I'm recalling words in Nepali as I learn new words in Turkish. Kalo chia dinos. I'll take that tea, iced, in the Mediterranean.
Gorusuruz.

No comments: