Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Curiosity strikes again

True, it has been too long since I've added a post to this blog. But once, seven years ago, I committed to recording the life of a dear friend as a mama. When her daughter speaks words of inquiry or wisdom, I swore I'd write them down. So last night, the six year old calls me up. "Didi, since you are a science teacher, I have a question."

"Yes?"

"Can you separate gas?"

"Yes."

"How?"

and I launch into a kid friendly explanation of helium party balloons and density as a characteristic property of matter, which my 6th grade students will learn this very week. I continue on about the mixture of air around us, including oxygen we breathe.

"We also breathe in carbon dioxide," she chuckles.

"What's so funny?" I wonder.

"Carbon dioxide." She repeats. "Such a hard word to say!"

"Beautiful." Simply beautiful.

No comments: