Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl Sunny Day

Every skier knows the lift lines are shorter on SuperBowl Sunday. When the Seahawks play, the Cascades are nearly empty, as the crowds left to head home for the big game. There were also a bevy of telemark skiers celebrating Telefest at Stevens Pass. On the way up to the mountain, I caught a glimpse of Rainier between two cloud layers. I never would have thought that was the harbinger of the weather to come. By 11 am, there was nothing but sunshine. Aggressive turns on the backside in velvet snow and super sunshine. From the top of Tye we looked out on the basins beyond saying, "That one looks like a super bowl. And there, another super bowl. Oh! another super bowl. Someday, I'd like to ski in that super bowl!"

So, while others sat around and watched some sort of sport today, I played in the super bowls and participated in another form of competition. The annual Glenn Wilcott memorial race was held in conjunction this year with Telefest. Despite a late start time and the more than casual organization (disorganization) I finished in third place in the women's novice division. At the bottom of the race, I looked back on the course and thought, "Damn, I could have skied faster." Well, there's next year!

Closing the evening with a sun kissed face, a warm shower, worked quads, and the memories of another damn fine day.

No comments: