Saturday, July 05, 2014

Research and curriculum materials


Preparing for a trip in another country always includes books from the children's section of the library.  Lucky for me I can reserve a number of juvenile books online and have them held at my local branch for easy pick up. The picture books in the top photo are going back to the library this weekend. They gave me a great sense of the highlights, stories, and concepts to convey to my high school explorers.

The lower set of books and materials are going with me.  (clock wise from top left) The binder of travel information is for the other adults in the program. Night Spirits is a collection of first person narratives regarding the relocation of the Sayisi Dene people from their caribou hunting grounds to the town of Churchill and the subsequent power dynamic and violence, poverty, and alcoholism. Chasing Ice is a remarkable documentary film about climate change by scientist and adventurer James Balog. I'll be sharing it with the explorers and leading a discussion. See it if you haven't yet. Peilous's Naturalist Guide to the Arctic is must. A map of Manitoba. Spirits of the Snow, a gift from my father years ago on native lore on the people of the north. Gretel Erlich's signed copy of Future of Ice, her remarkable inspirational poetry and prose on climate change (what book of her's isn't remarkable, poetic and inspirational--ahhh!).  Barry Lopez's signature Arctic Dreams--I first read on route to Iceland and Norway. Meditations on the Earth--a collection of quotes and sentiments for reflection I hope to share with my explorers. My journal--given to me by Global Explorers with a polar bear on the cover.  Paper work for the expedition--tons of it!

No comments: