Monday, July 07, 2014

Work permit and golden boy

I've never flown into Canada before. I've always driven across, with my own luggage in the car. I've never had to fill out a declaration form. I've simply answered questions with responses like, "no fruit sir; we are going skiing;I'm staying with a cousin; we will bring and leave them a bottle of wine.". In my excitement to work with a group in Canada I checked the "business" box on the customs form.

Little did I know what hassles that caused. I was detained in customs for over an hour, while I graciously and honestly explained the unique situation of my job. The hang up is why would the Canadian girl guides hire a US company to do a job Canadians could do? Why didn't I have a work permit, or a letter of introduction? A few phone calls and checking categories and checking boxes and filling out forms and paying a large sum of money, my passport now holds a Canadian work permit. It is a colorful piece of paper stamped above the NA, folded in thirds vertically and in half again to fit in my passport. Occupation: outdoor sport and recreation guide. Conditions: cant take classes, can't work for anyone else, can't work in other location than stated, and must leave canada by August 16. So much for being a ski instructor at whistler, I joked with the customs agent.

When the sliding doors opened from the silent and empty customs holding area to the baggage claim, I heard my  name almost immediately. Michelle, our transport, recognized my shirt, and  took me to the girls guides who were playing UNO by baggage claim in their uniforms.

Michelle tranported us to the hotel, passing the legislative building topped with a 13 foot high golden boy. A gift from France in 1919, in 14 k gold, the golden boy was held up during the war in the hull of a ship going back and forth. He didn't arrive until 1920 and was put on top.

Girls enjoyed pizza and we made our hand contract to start the expedition in style.


No comments: